The 117th Eastern Townships Overseas Battalion
RETURN TO INDEX PAGE
THE 5th CANADIAN MOUNTED RIFLES ASSOCIATION
The 5 CMR Association was formed in 1934 and the first reunion was held at the Chateau Frontenac Hotel on September 29 of that year. This hotel was located on the corner of Wellington and Aberdeen streets in Sherbrooke (until the 1960's). 52 former soldiers of 5 CMR including 15 soldiers from the original 117th Battalion signed the attendance roll. Attendance varied throughout the years with some men attending every year, and others less regularily.
The Association met every year thereafter, usually in September, in Sherbrooke until 1969. In 1961, with membership declining, the members voted on disbanding the Association. However, the membership voted to defer the decision until later. The last agenda item during the 1968 reunion was the topic of disbanding. With fewer than a dozen men in attendance, they voted that the 1969 reunion would be the last. In 1969 a final audit of the books was completed, the bank account donated to the Royal Canadian Legion, and the final few members adjourned the final meeting ending thirty-five years of reunions.
Over the years, the Association's past presidents did a fantastic job of keeping notes and attendance registers. These notes have been donated to the Eastern Townships Research Centre at Bishop's University, Lennoxville Quebec.
A full history of the 5 CMR Association will be prepared at a later date.